Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"Bernice Bobs Her Hair"

           “Bernice Bobs Her Hair” is a scandalous short story that will keep you amused from beginning to end. This narrative is set in the Jazz Age of partying and entertainment. The author, F. Scott Fitzgerald, does a fantastic job capturing the true essence of this era in his writing. He writes, ”these summer hops were considered just pleasantly warm and exciting, where even the youngest marrieds rose and performed ancient waltzes and terrifying fox trots to the tolerant amusement of their younger brothers and sisters.” 
            In my opinion, this tale is intriguing and engrossing because of the malicious character, Marjorie. Without giving too much of the plot away, Marjorie is deceitful and wily, with selfish intentions and no pity. Fitzgerald illustrates these qualities when he writes, ”You little nut! Girls like you are responsible for all the tiresome colorless marriages; all those ghastly inefficiencies that pass as feminine qualities. What a blow it must be when a man with an imagination married…and finds out she’s just a weak, whining, cowardly mass of affectations!” Marjorie reminds me of  the character Regina from my favorite movie, Mean Girls. They are both manipulative and egotistical young ladies who target girls that they are jealous of.
            Ultimately, “Bernice Bobs Her Hair” is a must-read classic that will give you insight about the Jazz Age and fascinate you for hours. I hope you thoroughly enjoy it as I did. 






6 comments:

  1. I love your page overall! It's so professional but with a little cuteness! The pictures and movie add a fun touch! Marjorie reminded me of Regina from Mean Girls too! I love that movie! The similar characters from Mean Girls and Bernice Bobs Her Hair both intrigue me because of their rude attitudes. Maybe it's weird that rude behavior intrigues me, but they make it way more entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review is really well written and the picture and video are a very good addition! The first paragraph is intriguing and made me want to read the rest of the review. The quotes are very relevant and well chosen for writing. I like your relation to Regina from "Mean Girls," I totally agree! Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the style of your blog. It makes me feel like I am in the twenties, which is perfect for the mood of this short story. The video was also a nice touch! I also like how you included your own opinion in the blog as well. That adds a little bit personality to the blog! A job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! I totally agree with everything you said, for example, I love your comparison between Marjorie and Regina. Regina is totally like Marjorie and I agree that mean and manipulative characters are more intriguing. They help build the excitement and plot of the story. Also, I love your addition of the picture and video. They help the reader get more excited about the time set in the story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog makes you want to read the short story -- even though most of us have already, but stil! I think you did a great job making the blog interesting by using descriptive words. The comparason to Mean Girls makes you want to read the short story even more... because who doesnt like that movie?? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your relation to Regina from Mean Girls is completely accurate and I'm sure I'm not the only one that agrees! You tied everything together nicely without revealing too much. The picture and video were both great additions and keeping it concise made it much easier to read and understand. Good job!

    ReplyDelete